My last make of 2017 was a lovely blouse in gorgeous viscose crepe dragonfly fabric which I’d purchased from the Sewing Cafe.
I wanted a simple pattern that showed off the pattern and was suitable for work. Inspired by Emma and her machine I went for New Look 6471 (Emma made the pussy bow version in the same fabric) and opted for version D.
This was a simple make with very little drama but boy does this material fray! Literally touching it results in disintegration of the edges.
I could have opted for overlocking but decided I wanted to practice some seam techniques. I did get a bit carried away and this top has ALL the seams going on. French Seams, Hong Kong seams, bias bound seams and, I’m sure, a seam which I made up myself! It was all good practice though…
I did the usual grading at the hips for my pear-shaped figure and reduced some of the ‘billowy-ness’ in the sleeves.
As you can see I didn’t even go there with pattern matching and sort of wish I’d paid more attention to dragonfly placement (double dragonfly action happening on the arm and chest!) – but these are only sewist self criticisms!
Fit-wise my only issue is that, as the fabric doesn’t give so much, it is a little tight across the back – most noticeable when I reach forward and the back opening gapes. I would increase this next time around, but until then I shall keep my back straight at all times!
So, I can report that I have worn this top on a couple of occasions already (it’s really too chilly at the moment) and my seams haven’t unraveled in the wash – this one is a keeper!